About me

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

From Spectator to Participator: A life in motion

image_in_motionI am not a life coach see Joe Paul for that, but I believe that your life is self actualized and in order to realize your potential you have to have an undying optimism, a heap of self assuredness, enormous faith in God, and a tenacious work ethic to accomplish great things. I am not hear to judge the merits of your faith but in my estimation having faith is paramount to success. This post is all about motion particular the movement form Spectator to Participator.
A body at rest tends to remain at rest and a body in motion will remain in motion unless acted on by another force paraphrase from Newton’s Laws of Motion.
In the post We Are All In Sales Really we talk about how if you don’t have what you want you are not selling enough. I would like to add that not only are you note selling enough but that you are selling yourself short. Below are some tips that I have picked up and hopefully we can use them together to help us move from spectators to participators in every facet of our lives. Hey, I am still in motion so saying ‘you’ instead of us in the sentence before did not seem appropriate.
 
First you have to know what role you are playing now, so we must Identify ourselves. Many of us are playing both of spectator and participator. In the life of my children I am a participator actively coaching and pushing and prodding them to be better then they where the day before, but in my own life for most of the year I was is a spectator. Passively sitting by with dreams and aspiration going unfulfilled passions going unexplored. My dreams where on life support. Just like Don Draper to mine own self I was not being true. I had a mask on and was comfortable wearing it. While in church one Sunday (I attend regularly see faith in God comment above, church is for the building of faith) I was listening to the sermon and this phrase hit me “Being spectator can be a position as well as an mentality.” Like the stone that hit Goliath from David’s slingshot right between the eyes. Bang, I had been shot down. That thought seemed like a ton of bricks hit me in the face. I am not even sure if that phrase was in the sermon or not, but it spoke volumes to me and I received it.
 

My problem was not my position ie. the sidelines, but my mentality. I had unknowing taken myself out of the game. I was inactive but not for injury or lack of ability but for effort. I was mentally on the sideline in the game of “My life”. I had a formula that seemed to be working so I mindlessly executed from day to day. I had grown weary of fighting the patterns that turn young wide-eyed dreamers into bitter old men and women having their dreams unrealized and their spirits unfulfilled. So I did what all analysts do I looked for the root cause of my inaction and sought out to fix it. I Resolve to never stop trying to fix it.
 
What I ended up doing was added another layer to my inaction, this is what's known as “paralysis by analysis.”
 

image_toolbelt

 
I am one who has been raised both parentally and professionally to “Plan the plan then work the plan.” Which places most of the time spent in the planning stage of any undertaking before any true action can be take place. This worked fine in the past but in todays fast pace existence one should be very careful about when they apply that age old adage.

 
To prevent myself from getting stagnate I thought what is the one thing I can do right now that will move my dream forward and I went out and did it. I started writing a blog post that ended up being Back at it! It was exhilarating to write something and hit publish. Was it perfect, No. Could it have been better, Yes. Is that the point, Yes. Perfection is an idea not a reality. Whatever it will always have flaws so we have to accept flaws but move forward. This moving is what helps us push through both the mentality and position of a spectator to a participator. 

 
Just do It. Hey, Nike has been on to something for years. When you just do it, its exciting and gives you that rush that comes along with the possibility of failure and to prevent that failure or learn from it you have to seek information tirelessly. On the road to success knowledge is truly power.
library
 
I began to look all around the internet, I looked at friends who where moving their ideas forward ex. Eugene Hennie and more established places like Mixergy.com and Entrepreneur.com and took cues from them along with knowledge gained through my personal experience building websites my company JFulldesign and a startup I am working on LiveLiberty.com.
 
Find those who are on the same road as you. Some maybe way ahead and other will be just getting on but there is an opportunity for each of us to learn from each other and move forward together. One of the most powerful things on earth is the human mind and spirit. Its absolutely paramount that we surround ourselves with positive people. huddleI did not say easy or appeasing people because without conflict there is no growth. Positive people I am still building I am still moving those are some things I have picked up along the way. 
 
 
Perspective Point:
If you want things to move you have to move them. Newton’s law perfectly illustrates this this. Once things get moving another force has to purposefully act on it to stop it from moving along it current path. The same goes for words and mindset. If you want to move your life, muse, career, project, relationship forward to a more successful place you have activate your life with movement inducing words words. “The power of life and death is in the tongue” Proverbs 18:21. Once we recognize this power using words to describe the direction of your path becomes second nature and we Identify ourselves, Resolve to never stop trying to fix it, accept flaws but move forward anyway, Just do it, seek information tirelessly, and surround ourselves with positive people. Who knows where we will be this time next year. I know where I will be, at the intersection where Information meets Perspective and toasting another successful year.

No comments:

Post a Comment