About me

Sunday, November 13, 2011

We Are All In Sales. Really It's True.

Just to be clear, I am by no means a salesman but being an entrepreneur and working as a consultant this is something that I have to grapple with almost daily. I am give good presentations but I am no Steve Jobs at least I don't think I am. Until, I thought about it, I kinda am and so are you. We often have to sell ideas while in the workplace, to the PTO, your kids, your friends and even your spouse. Selling can often be the difference from getting what you want or ending up empty handed.


"If you are not getting what you want out of life maybe you are not selling enough." Sales is a mindset and yeah there are some sleazy tactics out there but if you want to move product (slang for make sales) you gotta sell.



In my work as a entrepreneur or an business analyst for my instructions to be taken seriously or my warnings headed or my analysis trusted, it boils down to salesmanship. I have to present my case well.
Salesmanship, what is it, you may ask? It boils down to presenting your (fill in the blank) as convincingly as possible in order to achieve some end to your benefit. If you are an entrepreneur its presenting how your services best benefit a potential client. If you are husband its adequately highlighting why Modern Warfare 3 is necessary to maintain the little sliver of motivation to complete those last 2 items on the honey-do list (I kid but not really).

Sales are about connection, benefit, delivery and follow up. Followed with a healthy portion of No! 
Just thought you should know, since we have laid out that rejection is apart of the process we can move forward.

  • First you have to connect with your potential customer. If you cannot establish a connection with then your done. Its over your toast. Move on to the next potential client. That connection will allow customers to look upon you products or services more favorably as well turn evangelist for your products.

  • Secondly we are all selfish and ultimately we want to know how does this benefit me. In my experiences this step should be presented early and often in the sales process. Don't be boastful, but let it be known. You belive in your product and your ability to deliver. Don't lie or purposely mislead anyone but be enthusiastic about what you are selling.

  • Thirdly delivery, if you want to sell to this person more thane once you have deliver a product or a service worth buying again. Period. 

  •  Last and definitely not least follow up. Once you have put on display how your (fill in the blank) benefits your potential customer. In the most non-pushy way possible remind them of the benefits and pull on that freshly laid relationship gently. This can be done over email but must include a phone call and personal meeting if possible depending on the size and scope of the sale. Selling anything is about relationship if you execute items 1 and 2 the beginnings of that relationship will be cemented with step 3.
PERSPECTIVE Point: The last thing you need to know is as a salesman you will be told No a lot! In one way or another and quite often. Being told No is apart of the life of a salesman, but thats what makes the Yes's so much better. This blog is about perspective, all that above is all theory until you test it, except the being told no part. That's a fact. Go sell something or try to at least. Just be prepared to deal with the No's but celebrate the Yes's and focus on making the Yes's a repeatable process. Give it a trying to use the process laid out above. Let me know how it goes in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment